Theologists and Scientists about God
I wrote about God in several Pages and posts on my site. After a talk with a good friend that is an Atheist, I decided to create a page that resumes what I know about the perception of God in history and the perception of God by Scientists and Theologists today. I started with this page December 2018. I update this page as I find new info. The last one was made 20200819 when I added more information about Spinoza’s perception of God.
You find these pages about God in the menu above under Theology-interreligious:
There are also some posts about God to be found under http://www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan/category/theology/:
- Religion anthropology separate page
- Agnostics god
- Musicians God
- Scientists God
- Philosophers God
- Giordano Bruno
- believers God
I add here a few comments from quora I think is written by agnostic people that do not deny the existence of a God but discuss it.
God is undeniably cruel!
With all the evil around the world it is not strange that many believe in a cruel God. in this comment I invite you to read these comments found inQuora:
“If God, as understood by Christian mythology, exists, then it patently clear that he/she/it is undeniably cruel.” Some more opinions based upon the Bible about the cruelty of God, are shared in Quora :
- “He creates all the animals as male and female, but then he creates Adam all by himself with no female companion. Does that make any sense? What are his dangly bits for? Are they purely recreational?
- Adam and Eve are to live in Eden without the knowledge of Good and Evil. That means they have no moral compass- they must rely on God to tell them right and wrong.
- The kind-hearted Promethean snake helped them evolve by eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, giving them the intellectual ability to see the chains God put on them.
- God did not like that, so he punished them- punishment for the crime of being able to think for themselves.
- All through the rest of the Bible is one account after another of this petty tyrant attacking humanity repeatedly whenever they were not kissing his divine ass.
- Notice that the worst possible sin in the Bible is not rape or murder- it is worshiping false Gods, worshiping idols, and not worshiping the big old HIM.
- God is more of an egomaniac than Trump.
- These attacks against humanity include the biggie- total global genocide in a flood. If a human father drowned his children in a bathtub, (all but one child of course) we would all consider him to be a monster, and rightly so.”
I listened to this nice Youtube about Johan Sebastian Bach.
At minute 1:15 the speaker said
Später wierd ein Kollege von ihm (ed. Johan Sebastian Bach) sagen
“Es mag sein, daß nicht alle Musiker an Gott glauben, an Bach glauben sie alle.”
In English: “It may be that not all musicians believe in God, but they all believe in Bach.”
I looked for this sentence to see who said this..zeit.de says that Compoeser Mauricio Kagel said this once. He also said:
lHätte ich ein Credo, dann wäre es dieses. Bachs Musik erweckt in mir ein Gespür für Transzendenz, obwohl ich nicht religiös bin.(Read more in www.zeit.de )
- The Ted seminar “This Is Your Brain on God | Michael Ferguson | TEDxSaltLakeCity“
These images with texts were taken from Source: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/12-famous-scientists-on-the-possibility-of-god_us_56afa292e4b057d7d7c7a1e5?guccounter=1
Nigel Warburton tells more about Einstein’s perception of God in https://aeon.co/ideas/what-einstein-meant-by-god-does-not-play-dice
Max Planck about God
Later in life, Planck’s views on God were that of a deist. For example, six months before his death a rumor started that he had converted to Catholicism, but when questioned what had brought him to make this step, he declared that, although he had always been deeply religious, he did not believe “in a personal God, let alone a Christian God.”
( Wiki )
In this video, you will listen to a physicist who explains God’s omnipresence with Quantum Physics. His site is at quantumcreationministries.com
Michio Kaku about God
“The mind ofGod is cosmic music resonating throughout 11-dimensional Multiverses.”( Michio Kaku )
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from divinity” ( Arthur C Clark. )
Michio Kaku tells about God in this youtube:
Richard Dawkins about God
Despite the title “The God delusion” this is a documentary about religion and its relation to Science.
A historian and philosopher share his view about deities in this video:
Theologists about God
I read a few theologist’s books about God and Jesus.
The best book is according to me, Jonas Gardell’s book “Om God” in Swedish.
According to Jonas, the perception of God has developed among humans from being an “eye to eye, teeth to teeth ” God to a loving and forgiving Christian God. Baruch is one example: Barush said in chapter 1 ver 13 about the burning of Jerusalem
Jonas’s book is published in English by Mattias Gardell with a separate title at https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Blood-Pagan-Revival-Separatism/dp/0822330717/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544361401&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=about+god+jonas+gardell
inspired by Jonas Book and approach I wrote this post about Jeremiah. www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan/2018/10/30/jeremiah/
Jesus about God
Jesus often talked about the Kingdom of Heaven and God but he never about God itself except as referring to God by saying “My father” or “Elohim”. Many Christians believe that Jesus is God, despite he himself never claimed himself to be God. He could have done it as the pharaohs did. Jesus was a humble man that never liked to brag. Read more about this issue in a separate post I wrote February 2019.
The Bible about God
Psalm 136 says:
“Alleluia! Give thanks to Yahweh for he is good,
for his faithful love endures forever.”
Paul about God
In Pauls’s letter to the Romans 1:20-22 you can read about God that “ever since the creation of the world, the invisible existence of God and his everlasting power have been clearly seen by the mind’s understanding of created things.”
Spinoza – God is all. All is God – Pantheism
“God does not exist elsewhere apart from things, he is in everything, and he is the force with which everything exists. This is why every true self-awareness is also the consciousness of God who knows himself.
.. whether it is a human being, a plant, a stone, or a breeze that touches our face: … in each of these God lives and expresses himself eternally.”
(Translation from an article written by Emanuele Coccia in Repubblica 20200819 )
The perception of God develops with Scientific discoveries.
Today we learn more and more about God’s “invisible qualities” looking at the Quantum particles and their functions. With my (limited) knowledge in this field, I wrote my page about “THE QUANTUM GOD“. The perception of God will develop more, with more discoveries and the time.
it is not surprising that Einstein with his knowledge said
This text below is taken from my page
Einsteins said he believed in Spinoza’s God. Einsteins said, “I believe in Spinoza’s God, Who reveals Himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.” ( read more at www.kinberg.net/science-without- religion/ ) That is called a pantheistic view. God is not an external creator separated from its creation. Read more about pantheism in www.pantheism.net
- Einstein also had an “unbounded admiration for the structure of the world“
“Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the Universe” (Carl Sagan Broca’s brain)
Baruch Spinoza said:
“Whatsoever is, is in God and without God, nothing can be or be conceived.”
“God is the indwelling and not the transient cause of all things
We feel and know that we are eternal Do not weep, do now wax indignant. Understand.”
- (God is all, All is God. Starts a pantheistic and Deistic view of God. Very much appreciated by Einstein.
Bruno Giordanos God
It is without any doubt that Bruno was a Creationist who believed in one God has created the Universe. He loved and studied the Creation but Bruno Giordano was one of the first who questioned the story of Genesis. After having seen a several meters deep salt mine in Germany he argued that all this salt could never have been created in 4000 years. Read more about God’s perception of God in my post at www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan.
Georges Ivanovich GURDJIEFF
Gurdjieff was born in Alexandropol (now Gyumri), Armenia January 13? – October 29, 1949 , was a Greek-Armenian mystic and self-professed ‘teacher of dancing’
- “Two things in life are infinite; the stupidity of man and the mercy of God.”
- “The greatest untold story is the evolution of God.”
- “I have an ideal, I have always been a Catholic. But I no longer see Jesus Christ in the same way.”
- “I wish you to understand that your nearest – father, mother, teacher – can serve as your ideal in place of God”
- “Having direct contact with God is impossible. “
- “God is far, there are many stages before you reach him, do not think about Him.”
- “You cannot pray directly to God. You imagine so, but you waste your time. “
- “No one has seen Him, for the law of contacts is strict.”
- “You will look for your God when you have felt guided in the right direction, on a good road, for instance by Mme. de Salzmann. Then she will be your God. She is not God, but she will be your first stage; you can have contact with God through her; make all your prayers and good manifestations pass through her and that itself will make contact with the next stage. Then a third stage and finally it is possible that your prayer will reach the real God.”
the story of God
Thanks to archeologists and Theologists like Jonas Gardell I am able to write about the story of God.
- Morgan Freemans “The story of God“ gives a good introduction.
it is a pity they have removed it from Youtube. I have it save on my hard disc. I focused a post on what was said in this video starting at 1:35:26. The post is available at www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan/2017/09/18/religious-pluralism/
Jehovahs Witnesses (JW).
A Lutheran creed that describes God
I got a script with the title “Thoughts about life, god and mankind” from Mats Hermanson from Visby May 2017 with images from Åsa Höjer, Sensus
The script shared several thoughts about God:
- 3. God is always greater
You can never catch God. You can never fully describe God. God is a vibrating primordial force that is the basic requirement for everything- like the smallest cell and the Milky Way and everything else, that life is connected to.
- 6. God has no sex
- 28. God has a mission.
- 65. God comes near.
- 72. Our image of God is important.
- 76. God talks to us.
- God can not be limited.
- 81. God is with us in everyday life.
- 82. God is political.
- 85. All love is of God.
- 93. God does not give up when it comes to you or me.
Jesus about a forgiving God
God forgives blasphemy and sin and those who speak a word against the Son of Man.
Jesus said according to Matthew 12:31-32 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
12:32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will be forgiven him, neither in this age nor in that which is to come.
Paul about God
God the destroyer
Sunday, March 10 at the Catholic mass 1Cor 10,1-6.10-12 was read
It tells about Pauls believe in the Hebrew destroyer God
1 I want you to be quite certain, brothers, that our ancestors all had the cloud over them and all passed through the sea. 2 In the cloud and in the sea they were all baptized into Moses; 3 all ate the same spiritual food 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, since they drank from the spiritual rock which followed them, and that rock was Christ. 5 In spite of this, God was not pleased with most of them, and their corpses were scattered over the desert. 6 Now, these happenings were examples, for our benefit, so that we should never set our hearts, as they did, on evil things; 10 Never complain; some of them complained, and they were killed by the Destroyer. 11 Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were described in writing to be a lesson for us, to whom it has fallen to live in the last days of the ages. 12 Everyone, no matter how firmly he thinks he is standing, must be careful he does not fall.
Jesus about God
The possibility of conversion is not eternal. What happens when you die, if you did not do good during your earthly life? I wrote about afterlife on a separate page. You find it at www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan/2018/01/24/life-afterlife/
“1 It was just about this time that some people arrived and told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with that of their sacrifices. At this he said to them, 2 ‘Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than any others, that this should have happened to them? 3 They were not, I tell you. No; but unless you repent you will all perish as they did. 4 Or those eighteen on whom the tower at Siloam fell, killing them all? Do you suppose that they were more guilty than all the other people living in Jerusalem? 5 They were not, I tell you. No; but unless you repent you will all perish as they did.‘”
Dalai Lama said “Religion Without Quantum Physics Is an Incomplete Picture of Reality”
For Buddhists, the existence of God is of secondary importance. But Buddhism doesn’t stop your from believing in a God.
I collected all information I have about Buddhism in this page: www.kinberg.net/wordpress/stellan/buddhism/
Zen Buddhism is a form of Buddhism. This master has an interesting view about God.
Rabindranath Tagore (Gurudev) was a Bengali poet, writer, composer, and painter.He also talked about God., He may not have been a Hinduist however.
- “Go not to the temple to put flowers upon the feet of God,
First, fill your own house with the Fragrance of love and kindness… “
- “The self-expression of God is in … the daily process of surrendering ourselves, removing all obstacles to union and extending our consciousness of him in devotion and service, in goodness and in love…”
- “With the breath we draw we must always feel this truth, that we are living in God.”
- “The man of devotion is meek because he is conscious of God’s right of love over his life and soul.”
- “God, the Great Giver, can open the whole universe to our gaze in the narrow space of a single land.”
- “Your idol is shattered in the dust to prove that God’s dust is greater than your idol.”
- “God loves me when I sing. God respects me when I work.”
Ramajunan born on 22 December 1887 into a family ofTamil-speaking Hindu Brahmins (Brahmin is a cast of teachers and priests) family in Erode, Madras Presidency (now Tamil Nadu, India) His mother educated him into a Tamil-speaking Brahmin following their family tradition and puranas, to sing religious songs, to attend pujas at the temple, and to maintain particular eating habits—all part of Brahmin culture. ( Wiki )
Srinivasa Ramanujan credits his mathematical findings to Namagiri, a form of Hindu goddess Lakshmi . According to Ramanujan, she appeared to him in visions, proposing mathematical formulas that he would then have to verify. One such event was described by him as follows:
While asleep, I had an unusual experience. There was a red screen formed by flowing blood, as it were. I was observing it. Suddenly a hand began to write on the screen. I became all attention. That hand wrote a number of elliptic integrals. They stuck to my mind. As soon as I woke up, I committed them to writing. (Wiki )
Image source: www.dhevee.org
SadhGuru defines God in this video. I recommend it. I added a few citations from him below.
A few citations from his speech:
- “God is sacred, Creation is filth”
- “The moment you thought that there must be a Creator because you are a human you thought: “a small man cannot do all this. it must be a big man”
- Idi Amin declared “God is black”
- “Now women are arguing that God could b a woman.”
- “When the man was the most powerful force on the planet, the man was naturally God”
- Y”our idea of God is just an exaggerated version of yourself””
- “You are still not able to define yourself. Whatever definition you put on yourself is not correct”
- “Any kind of definition you put on yourself, it is not enough to describe this one” (ed. GOD).
- “When this small piece of the creation is like this, the source of creation, how are you going to put a definition on it?
- “You can not define it, you can not understand it. You can only dissolve into it. You can experience it. You can’t make knowledge out of it.”
- “Whatever knowledge you have about God, it is pure nonsense, cultural nonsense.”
- “it can only be experienced. Experience does not mean you an eat it or you can grasp it.”
- “You can experience only by dissolving in it. There is no other way”
- “”We are just looking for a method of dissolution so we can experience something bigger than ourselves”
The Hebrew Bible does speak of God in bodily form: Is 7:14 speaks of, “God with us, being born of a virgin.” Also, Messiah will return to earth: Zachariah 14:4-21. comment from Steve Polanko in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFixVjwAYk
rabbi Yizchack Breitowitz, from Jerusalem, said in the video above that God is “infinite and non -material.”
Surah Al Fatihah starts with:
“In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.”
Read more in http://www.allah.org/
Safiyyah Sabreen Syeed is a good example of a Muslim. She share in this video her observations of the signs of Allah.
Sufism or Taṣawwuf (Arabic: التَّصَوُّف), variously defined as “Islamic mysticism“, “the inward dimension of Islam” or “the phenomenon of mysticism within Islam”, is mysticism in Islam, “characterized values, ritual practices (like dance), doctrines and institutions” which began very early in Islamic history and represents “the main manifestation and the most important and central crystallization of” mystical practice in Islam.] Practitioners of Sufism have been referred to as “Sufis” (from صُوفِيّ, ṣūfiyy / ṣūfī). Sufism is sometimes mistakenly considered a “sect“. ( Wiki )
- Lo, I am with you always means when you look for God, God is in the look of your eyes, in the thought of looking, nearer to you than your self, or things that have happened to you. There’s no need to go outside. (www.azquotes.com/ )
- “What you seek is seeking you”
Zoroastrism was the first monotheistic religion. Zarathushtra was the first Zoroastrian prophet who is said to have written the Song of Zarathushtra, the Gatas. The main moral for this religion today practiced by Zoroastrians around the world is “Good thoughts, Good deeds”
About the Zoroastrian Persian King can be read in 2 Chronicles 36:22-23
“Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying, Thus says Cyrus king of Persia:
All the kingdoms of the earth the Lord God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a house at Jerusalem which is in Judah. Who is among you of all His people? May the Lord his God be with him, and let him go up!”
About The Zoroastrian God can be read in
I wrote more about Zoroastrism in http://www.kinberg.net/2017/09/26/being-interreligious/#Gathas
I shared my personal perception of God in
My perception is of course not static. I have not stopped searching for God.